Why Truck Owners with Commercial Plates Should Renew Now
Got a Truck? Here’s What You Should Know
As of December 16, 2019, ATLAS will require USDOT numbers for every commercial registration in order to renew.
This new RMV practice affects two vehicle categories that were previously not required to have USDOT numbers:
1) Trucks that are used in commerce in MA but weigh under 10,001 lbs.
2) trucks that weigh over 10,001 lbs. but are not used in commerce.
Who Needs a USDOT Number?
Massachusetts requires you to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that fits one of these descriptions:
- It is used in intrastate commerce.
- It is used to transport the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce (see 49 CFR 385.403).
- It has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater.
- It is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation.
If you have questions regarding auto insurance coverage or would like to speak with a Massachusetts insurance expert from CAV Insurance Agency, call us on 781-237-4107. Remember that it only takes a few minutes to get an auto insurance quote from your local insurance agency.