Preventing Slips, Trips, and Falls in the Workplace
Slips, trips, and falls have the potential to be a major cause of injury for your employees and visitor to your premises. There is a common misconception that slip and fall injuries just happen and that there is little that can be done to prevent them. However, this is not always the case. In fact, as a business owner, you can do a great to prevent such accidents and injuries.
It’s important to understand where on your premises the greatest potential for danger lies. Common hazards are:
- Slippery surfaces, such as glossy tiles and polished stone
- Holes or broken surfaces
- Uneven walking surfaces
- Poorly marked or poorly lit walkways
- Wet surfaces caused by spills or poor drainage
- Slippery conditions due to mud, ice, or rain
So, what can you do to make your workplace safer for everyone? Follow these tips to minimize the risk of slips and falls.
- Make sure to always put appropriate signs to let people know when floors are wet.
- Clean spills up immediately.
- Put non-slip mats inside the doorway so that those coming in from the outside can wipe the mud and water from their shoes.
- Ensure all carpet is secure and without any frayed edges.
- Keep cabinets and drawers closed when not in use.
- Tidy away cords with cable ties so that there aren’t any wires on the floor.
- Walkways and heavily trafficked areas should always be kept open and clear. Avoid placing furniture or other items in these paths.
- Make sure your office has proper lighting. Remember to check areas such as staircases and hallways.
- Routinely check staircase handrails to make sure they are secure.
Staying safe is important. Securing reliable business insurance is equally important so that you are well-protected if an accident does occur. Contact CAV Insurance, serving Wellesley Hills and neighboring cities in Massachusetts.