How to Prepare Your Boat for Spring
Your Boat Spring Cleaning Checklist
If you’re like other Massachusettsian boaters, you’re likely to be thinking about when you get your boat back out onto the water this season. Now that spring is finally here, it’s time to start preparing your vessel for the first spring waters. Before heading off on your first voyage of the season, you’ll want to ensure your boat is properly de-winterized and that you have reliable boat insurance in Wellesley MA in place. Here are some tips to get your boat ready for spring.
Prepare for the Season Ahead
- Take a boat safety course and obtain your boating certificate if you have not already.
- Read your owner’s manual and consult the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance guidelines.
- Familiarize (or re-familiarize) yourself with your boat, from the features to the safety precautions.
Check Before Cruising
Before you leave the dock, check that everything is in order for a smooth and safe start to the boating season.
- Inspect all of the safety equipment on board, including flares, fire extinguishers, personal floatation devices, first aid kids, and more.
- Check all lights on your boat are working properly.
- Open the engine compartment to check for excess water in the bilge.
- Check for any electrical issues, such as loose, disconnected, and corroded conductors.
- Ensure the battery is properly secured to the vessel and that it has plenty of charge left.
- Clean out the fuel filters and make sure no water is present.
- Fill your tank with high-quality fuel.
- Change and check the oil level before starting the boat for the first time.
- If you will be towing your vessel to its launch point, you will also need to properly inspect and maintain your trailer prior to your first outing.
Perhaps you like sailing on Lake Cochituate, or maybe you venture out to Boston Harbor and around Spectacle Island. Whether you dock your boat on the Charles River, in Salem or on the Cape or anywhere in between, CAV Insurance Agency is the name to know for your Massachusetts boat insurance.
When you head out for a day on the water, the last thing on your mind is having a boating accident. However, accidents to happen. Whether it’s a collision, accidental fuel spill or injury, protect yourself, your watercraft, and your assets with quality boat insurance. We understand the specialized insurance needs of Massachusetts boaters, and we are here to give you the peace of mind so you can enjoy smooth sailing! Contact us today and let CAV Insurance Agency put our decades of boat insurance expertise to work for you!