Mobile Malware on the Rise: Protect Your Data
Safeguard Your Personal Information
We heavily rely on our phones every day. From checking bank balances to buying new products to accessing work emails – we have turned our smartphones into a goldmine of personal information. Unfortunately, with the rise of technology comes the rise of malware, hackings, and data breaches. Mobile malware is on the rise at an alarming rate, and we should all be taking steps to prevent our data from falling into the wrong hands.
How Your Mobile Data Can Get Infected
By far the most common way that your device may become infected is if you download a malicious app. Cybercriminals may pirate an existing app and list it on a third-party app store with hidden malware attached. When you download the app, you invite malicious software onto your device. Another way you may expose yourself to an attack is to open a virus via a fake email. This is an easy mistake to make, which is why it’s important to consider opening emails before doing so.
Tips for Securing Your Phone
The most effective way to protect your phone from malware is to take preventative steps to reduce the likelihood of contracting an infection in the first place. Here are a few ways to protect your phone and data:
- Don’t access any sensitive information through public Wi-Fi, such as checking emails or accessing bank accounts.
- Do not jailbreak your device.
- Only download apps from the official app stores.
- Don’t download an app that doesn’t look professional or has limited reviews.
- Update your operating system as soon as a new version is released.
- Review the terms and conditions when downloading a new app.
Protecting your device has never been more essential! At CAV Insurance Agency in Wellesley, MA we work with companies like Chubb and AIG who offer a broad range of insurance coverage to help keep you and your family safe. Contact us today for more information!