Is Your Parking Lot Safe for Visitors and Employees This Winter?
Get Your Parking Lot Ready for Winter
Parking lots can be dangerous places, especially in winter where there is ice and snow on the ground. If your business has a parking lot, you’ll want to ensure the safety of your employees, guests, visitors, vendors, and yourself this winter.
Slips, trips, and falls can result in serious injuries to visitors. This seemingly minor risk has the potential for lawsuits. It’s important to know the particular risks of your area and take appropriate precautions to safeguard individuals. Take a look at these tips on how to keep employees and visitors safe in your parking lot.
- Establish a snow maintenance program. Make sure that you have a reliable contract with a local snow removal company to make sure the parking lots and sidewalks are free of snow and ice.
- Provide grip. If there has been snow or ice, it’s important that you do what you can to prevent slips and falls. Spread out sand which can help guests grip the ground or salt that works to dissolve ice.
- Install adequate lighting. During non-routine work hours such as early mornings or late evenings, your parking lot should be lit well so that people can clearly see vehicles and paths. Exterior lighting is important year-round and should be adequate for night-time use.
- Maintain handrails. Handrails or guardrails should be installed at level changes and for the stairs and ramps. Make sure they are stable and at the appropriate height.
- Establish clear signage. All entrances, exits, pedestrian crossings, and parking areas should be signposted clearly. Landscaping and signs should not block driver visibility.
- Avoid unnecessary trips. If the parking lot is unsafe for use, do not call out employees and visitors unless absolutely necessary. One accident is all it takes to bring a company to its knees.
Make it easy for employees and visitors to report conditions in the parking lot, whether they feel unsafe or in danger. Management should receive these comments well and take action to correct an issue promptly. Doing so can help keep your business running smoothly.
A small investment parking lot safety for your business can help to avoid disasters. To find out if your business insurance is ready for the worst, call CAV Insurance Agency on 781-237-4107. We serve business owners in the Metro West areas such as Natick, Wellesley, Dover, Sherborn, and Weston.