How to Leave Your Home Safe for Your Winter Vacation
Winterize Your Home Before Leaving for Vacation
Are you lucky enough to be escaping the winter weather on a sun holiday or hitting the slopes for some downhill fun? During this time of year, skiing in New Hampshire and Vermont is ideal, and many individuals, couples, and families take advantage of the fresh snow in the New Year. If you’re grabbing your skis for a weekend of fun, you will want to be sure you leave your home safe and protected. Your home is more vulnerable to vandalism, burglaries, storms, and freezing temperatures in January. Luckily, with these tips and reliable home insurance in Wellesley, MA, there are numerous steps you can take to minimize the risk.
- Unplug all unnecessary electrical devices. Walk through your home and unplug toasters, computers, TVs, chargers, and clocks that will draw power and create that small risk of fire. Leave essential appliances on, such as the refrigerator, and lights on a timer.
- Turn down the heat. When no one is in the house, a setting of around 55 degrees is adequate to keep the pipes from freezing and then bursting. If you have pets or houseplants, you may want to raise the temperature accordingly.
- Turn off the main water supply. To ease your mind while you’re away, it’s a good idea to turn off your home’s water supply and open all faucets and drain them.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check in on the property. Ask someone you trust to visit the property often. He/she can bring in the post, water the plants, feed the pets, and ensure all is well with the house. Make sure that your friend has your contact information and basic knowledge of the house.
- Don’t give burglars a chance. Burglaries raise in winter, as many take the opportunity to break into a home when they know the homeowners are on vacation. Before you leave, ensure all windows and doors are sealed and locked. Never leave keys outside the property, such as under a plant pot.
Finally, relax and enjoy your trip! If the worst does happen, and despite your best efforts, an incident occurs, be sure that you can fall back on reliable homeowners insurance. Your local agents in Wellesley are ready to find the right coverage to suit your needs, home, and budget. We serve homeowners in Dover, Needham, Brookline and surrounding cities in Massachusetts. Contact us to get started!