Getting Your Sump Pump Ready for Spring
After a long, cold winter, it’s a welcome sign when the days get longer and the temperatures begin to climb. But the spring thaw can also bring spring flooding to your basement if your sump pump is not operating properly. When was the last time you checked your sump pump to make sure it is in working order? Now is also the time to check your homeowners insurance since some policies may not cover water in the basement.
What to Check
- Is the sump pump plugged in?
- Is the power cord in good condition?
- Is the drain hose connected properly?
- Is it free from debris?
- If it has a backup battery is it charged?
Sump Pump Maintenance Tips
- Check to make sure debris isn’t clogging the pump area. Even larger objects can find their way into your sump pump, so be sure to check the vent holes, valves, and all other areas of your sump pump for unwanted substances.
- Test your sump pump. If it’s been some time since you last used your sump pump, check that it is working properly. You can do this by pouring water into the sump pit. If it doesn’t start working instantly, you may have a problem that you need to fix.
- Make sure the battery is charged. Even though your sump pump likely has a back-up battery in case of an emergency, it’s important to make sure it’s always working.
If your sump pump does not seem to be working correctly, contact a professional for assistance.
A sump pump that has been properly maintained will provide service for up to 10 years. If you don’t know the age of your sump pump, it’s a good idea to consider a replacement and keep a backup on hand in case your sump pump fails.
Sump Pump Coverage
Consider obtaining optional coverage for water backup or sump discharge or overflow since most homeowners insurance policies do not cover this damage. A sump pump endorsement can be purchased at a low cost and will provide coverage for damage caused by backed-up water. This includes coverage for items that water damaged, as well as the cost of cleaning up the water in your home, as long as the loss was not caused by the homeowner’s negligence.
Are you looking for reliable homeowners insurance coverage? Your local agents in Wellesley are ready to find the right coverage to suit your needs, home, and budget. We serve homeowners in Dover, Needham, Brookline and surrounding cities in Massachusetts. Contact us to get started!