As the winter approaches, now is the time to check your home for carbon monoxide.
With the cold fall and winter months fast approaching, it means more time spent indoors. While inside your home may seem safer than spending time out in the cold, there are many hidden dangers that lurk inside your home.
Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless, and colorless gas that can lead to illness and even death. Since the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble the symptoms of other illnesses, many people don’t realize they have carbon monoxide poisoning until some damage has been done.
Keep these simple safety tips in mind to help protect you and your family from carbon monoxide while more time is spent in the house this winter.
- Keep all of your vents clear. Take a look at the outside of your home and make sure that there is nothing obstructing any vents for your stove, dryer, or furnace. Also, make sure that snow does not build up around these vents throughout the winter.
- Do not idle your car. Even if the garage door is open, do not idle your car in an enclosed space. If you want to warm up your car, take it out of the garage and let it run.
- Hire a professional. Professionals will be able to perform regular maintenance on all of your appliances, which will help to ensure that they are working properly and not creating any extra carbon monoxide.
- Install alarms. Install carbon monoxide alarms throughout your home, making sure that there are alarms on each level of your home and outside of each bedroom. Regularly check your alarms to make sure that they are working properly, and replace any broken our outdated alarms.
One of the most important parts of providing protection from carbon monoxide is to make sure that you have the right homeowners insurance policy. Fortunately, it takes a simple phone call to secure the right coverage for your home and needs, all at the right price. Talk to the professional team at CAV Insurance to determine your homeowners insurance policy in Wellesley Hills and neighboring cities in Massachusetts.