Don’t miss these important tasks as you prepare your summer home for the cooler season.
Saying goodbye to a seasonal property is an annual ritual for the countless Americans who own summer homes. Falling temperatures can wreak havoc on a home, from plumbing to the roof to the appliances. Since you leave your summer home for a significant portion of the year, it’s well worth doing some preventative maintenance and routine check-ups to ensure that all will be safe and sound over winter. Doing so also helps when springtime rolls around and you want to get back into the vacation home as soon as possible – without fixing any damage that happened over winter!
To ensure that your vacation property is safely tucked away for the winter, don’t forget these tasks.
- Inspect the property for damage, and make any necessary repairs.
- Clean the home thoroughly to help discourage pests.
- Turn off the water and then drain the pipes. You can check that the water is off by turning on a tap and making sure the water runs outs.
- Empty, clean, and unplug appliances. Don’t forget your fridge, oven, washer, and dryer.
- Turn off and drain your hot water heater.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Forward your mail.
- Take (or update!) your home inventory.
- Clean out the gutters, removing debris and unblocking the downspouts.
- Put away outdoor furniture, grills, and other accessories.
- Lock the garage and storage shed.
Before you leave your summer home, take a moment to review your homeowners insurance. You’ll want to ensure that your coverage is suitable for needs while you are away from the property. Fortunately, it takes a simple phone call to secure the right coverage. Talk to the professional team at CAV Insurance to determine your homeowners insurance policy in Wellesley Hills and neighboring cities in Massachusetts.